The Diamond Botanical Gardens are part of the Soufrière Estate. This 2,000-acre land grant was presented by King Louis XIV in 1713 to three Devaux brothers from Normandy in recognition of their services to France. Today, the estate is still owned by their descendants; Joan Du Bouley Devaux maintains the gardens. Bushes and shrubs bursting with brilliant flowers grow beneath towering trees and line pathways that lead to a natural gorge.
This photo of Diamond Waterfalls is courtesy of TripAdvisor
Deep within the botanical gardens, water bubbling from underground sulfur springs streams downhill in rivulets, forming the Diamond Waterfall. King Louis XVI of France was convinced and allocated funds to build a bath house for his troops with twelve stone baths, fortifying them against the St. Lucian climate. Also here in the bath house, it is believed that Empress Joséphine Bonaparte had bathed here as a young girl while visiting her father's plantation nearby. The bath house in Diamond Waterfall was destroyed during the Brigand's War, just after the French Revolution.
In 1930 the site was excavated by André Du Boulay, and two of the original stone baths were restored for his use. Outside baths were added later. Through the centuries, the rocks over which the cascade spills have become encrusted with minerals and tinted yellow, green, and purple.